Takes: 1 hour 15 minutes (plus cooling)
- 60g margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 165g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 125ml milk
- ¼tsp bicarbonate of soda
FOR THE GANACHE
- 150ml double cream
- 225g dark or milk chocolate, chopped
Step by Step:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C, gas 4). Lightly grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the margarine and caster sugar together using an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in the egg until thoroughly combined.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Fold into the egg mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Combine 4tbsp of boiling water and the bicarbonate of soda in a small bowl. Lightly fold into the mixture. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 35-40 mins, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat until hot but not boiling. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour over the hot cream and stir until melted together. Cool until spreadable, then spread over the top and around the sides of the cake using a palette knife. Decorate with a heart candle before serving, if liked.