Takes: 1 hour 45 minutes (plus standing)
- 1tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 750g chicken sausages
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 40g butter
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 625ml milk
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1tsp grated lemon zest
- 75g Parmesan, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 750g potatoes, in 5mm slices
- 160g baby spinach
- 250g cherry tomatoes
Step by Step:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C, gas 4). Grease a 2 litre shallow ovenproof dish. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and cook the sausages, turning, for 5 mins or until browned. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add the onion to the frying pan and fry for 5 mins, stirring. Remove from the heat.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 3 mins. Stir in the fresh thyme, lemon zest and 50g of the Parmesan. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Slice the sausages into 1cm-thick rounds and add to the sauce, along with the onions, potato and spinach. Transfer the mixture to the prepared ovenproof dish and cover with greased foil. Bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil. Halve the cherry tomatoes and scatter over with the remaining Parmesan. Bake for 15 mins or until the tomatoes are tender. Stand for 5 mins, then serve.